Thanks for the Journey (PPA324)
As you may know, today is the last challenge for Pals Paper Arts. It’s had a long and illustrious run, and I am honored to have been a part of the history! This week marks another milestone for me too – I left my job in “Corporate America”!
The business that my husband and I started two years ago reached the point where I needed to be more available so we could continue to grow. About a year ago, I went to 1/2 time with my corporate job, and last Friday I finally left completely! Do I miss it? I don’t miss the job, but I do miss the great people I worked with. Of course, we’re friends on Facebook now, so I can keep up with them.
Well, today’s design is for you – for being a part of this wonderful PPA journey, and for also being a part of my life. It’s also going in the mail to my former boss, and friend, Maria. She was fantastic to work for and work with, and I value that she’s been so supportive of my business journey.
I also wanted to share that I am going to be taking a bit of a break here. You all know that I’ve not been posting a lot. The business is waayyyyy busy, and its time for some things to go in a new direction – a better direction!
There will be some remodeling on the site over the next two months, and some new focuses. If you’re on my mailing list, I’ll be sending out some separate messages so you can continue to follow only the things that you love. But, I think you’re going to love it all!
Yes – ONLINE CLASSES are still on the list, and will FOR SURE be coming in January. It’s always about having enough time, isn’t it? So, please, sign up for my mailing list to keep up with site developments as they happen – and I’ll see you on the flip side!
Let’s Create, Simply!
If you want to create cards like the ones I share, there is a simple way to do it. All you have to remember is “Let’s Create, Simply!”. Remembering that phrase will help you recall three key points of design: Layout, Color, Style. Don’t overthink it and use these three steps to make great cards every time. Click on the tabs below for today’s tips and Pin-worthy graphics! (Hint: If you’re on a mobile device, you can save images by pressing and holding on the picture and selecting “Share Image”. You should get a whole bunch of options depending on what apps you have installed on your device.)
Start your project by finding a great layout, and break down the parts. Here’s a Pin-worthy tip to remember how to make angles easy!
Featured Element: Angles
See the marker on the grid paper? I placed my card base on the paper, marked a corner, and then made some lines on either side to indicate how I wanted the angle in the design to go. Then, placing my DSP (cut to size) on the same grid paper (line it up to that same corner), I used a ruler to go across and line up to the marks on the grid paper. A few light lines, and a few cuts on my trimmer, and I had a perfect angle cut!
Color doesn’t have to be cosmic! Inspiration is all around, and you can hardly go wrong with any of Stampin’ Up!’s colors. Here’s the primary colors used on today’s creation. You can save this to a Pinterest board to use any time you’re looking for project inspiration.
Featured Coordination: Fall Go-To Combo
Fall is in full swing! This color combo is the perfect go-to for any of your fall designs. These are the base cardstock colors used for the leaves in today’s design. Why Tangerine Tango, and not Pumpkin Pie? Well, Tangerine Tango has hints of pink which bring it closer to all the luscious reds that we see in nature. If you’re going for the realistic look, Pumpkin Pie can sometimes feel a bit “from the crayon box”. Know what I mean?
Love the natural look? Here’s some tips on bringing paper to life the next time you want some leaves in your project.
Featured Style: Realistic Leaves
The key to realistic leaves is colored cardstock, light veins, and sponging. First, start with colored cardstock – but not the exact color of the leaf. For example, I used Tangerine Tango CS for the maple leaf. (Cajun Craze for the oak, and Daffodil Delight for the third). Then, a lighter than expected color for the stamping. Again, on the maple, I used Cajun Craze. Then, the sponging – a light touch and lots of layers. For the maple, I used Cherry cobbler and Real Red, with a touch of Flirty Flamingo. Who would have guessed!
Wrap-up & Chat
Yes! You’ve got everything you need to try out some leaf-inspired designs. Use my ideas above to help kick-start your creativity for today – and share your results!
Because creatives crave inspiration! By sharing your work, not only will you get better, and craft more often, but you’ll be helping inspire others too. Creativity is a team sport, so get out there and share.
Here’s how you can share with me:
- Leave a COMMENT below!
- Post a project inspired by today’s post on my Facebook page OR
- Post it Pinterest and use the hashtag #PMRInspired2016 OR
- Post it to Instagram and use the hashtag #PMRInspired2016
When I find your creations, I’ll comment and I’ll share them right here!
Here’s how you can share with others:
- Use those big ‘ol SHARE buttons below and post today’s creative inspiration for others to find
- If you’re on a mobile device, you can share images by pressing and holding on the picture and selecting “Share Image”. You should get a whole bunch of options depending on what apps you have installed on your device.
- SHOP NOW and don't forget the host code: RCWTPZYD. This month's Product Rewards Club members will receive:
- Orders between $25-$74.99: A 6x6 Paper Sampler - Tutti-fruitti (New in the Occasions Catalog!)
- Orders over $75: The Paper Sampler AND the Tutti-fruitti self-adhesive sequins (New in the Occasions Catalog!)
- If you have an order over $150, DON'T USE THE HOST CODE, but get your Stampin' Rewards, AND the free gifts from me!
- The Year-end Sales Event is on through January 2nd. Get retiring holiday items while supplies last!
- STAMPIN' BLENDS! Stampin' Up!'s new alcohol-based markers are now available! Start your collection today and join me at Club Blend
- PAPER PUMPKIN - Outside the Box! My monthly subscribers receive freebies, stamp storage, videos and exclusive access to a private Facebook group where we share projects and I do giveaways! Join today!
- Product Shares Get a little of everything, and use it all! Product Shares for the Annual Catalog and Occasions Catalog are ordered twice a month. Time to restock!
- If you plan to place your next order through me and need copies of the current catalogs, please request them here.
- Need a Color Coordinator to inspire color choices for your projects? Get yours today! "I love this! I have a hard time getting color combos together and this takes all the guess work out so I can start creating right away! I think every stamper should have one thank you for this amazing product." - Sandra