On the CASE: Playful Backgrounds
On the CASE: Playful Backgrounds
Are you ready to look like a papercrafting genius?!
I am so excited to share today’s CASE file with you. I’ve been eyeing this project since the catalog came out, but thought that it might just take too much time. Well, wasn’t I surprised when I had it put together in about 10 minutes (with the help of a heat tool). This particular design showcases one of our background-ish stamp sets – Playful Backgrounds. It’s great “utility” stamp set because it can add all sorts of great texture to any design as it’s just a bunch of fun, random patterns. In today’s project, we’ll make a stunning multi-technique panel that really helps the sentiment to pop.
Don’t forget to leave a comment at the end of the post to qualify for my quarterly giveaway!
Stamps and Paper and Inks … Oh, My!
Stamps: Playful Backgrounds Photopolymer Stamp Set  , Picture Perfect Birthday Photopolymer Stamp Set 
Paper: Whisper White Thick Cardstock  8 1/2″ x 5 1/2″, Mint Macaron Cardstock  4 1/4″ x 5 1/2″, Shimmery White Card Stock  3″ x 5 1/2″, 3″ x 3″ , Vellum Card Stock  3″ x 3″
Inks: Mint Macaron Classic Stampin’ Pad  , Versamark Pad  , Jet Black Stazon Ink Pad  , Stazon Cleaner 
Accessories: Gold Metallic Thread 
Other:Embossing Buddy  , Gold Stampin’ Emboss Powder  , Heat Tool , Aqua Painters  , Big Shot  , Layering Circle Framelits Dies , Pretty Label Punch 
On the CASE Notes
(your step-by-step guide)
- Score your card base at 4 1/4″. Fold and burnish the edge with a bone folder.
- Adhere the Mint Macaron piece to the card base. Set aside.
- Watercolor a big splotch in Mint Macaron on the Shimmery White Cardstock piece. Dry (use heat tool to speed drying).
- Stamp spots from Playful Patterns using Staz-on Black.
- Stamp the circle outlines using VersaMark and heat emboss in Gold.
- Adhere finished panel to card base, offset about 1/2″ from the left.
- Stamp the sentiment in Versamark on a scrap of Shimmery White. Heat emboss in Gold. Punch out with the Pretty Label Punch.
- Add Gold Metallic Thread to the back of the sentiment with mini glue dots.
- Diecut the largest circle from vellum. Adhere the sentiment to the vellum.
- Attach completed sentiment to card base using Stampin’ Dimensionals.
How Hard Was It to Crack this CASE?
Difficulty Level: 3 out of 5 – I popped this up to a three because there’s some intermediate techniques like the watercolor wash and the embossing. Be sure to get the watercolor completely dry before stamping. AND, be sure to use an Embossing Buddy before the embossing steps, as I noticed that the embossing powder likes to stick to even the Staz-on ink a bit after it’s dry. This design would be fun to do in a myriad of colors, perhaps one from each color in a color family. Don’t let the huge supply list scare you, the execution is quite straightforward!
We hope our projects today inspired you to try CASE-ing the catalog too! We’re “on the case”, looking for the hashtag #SUontheCASE on social media (Facebook, Instagram, Google+ & Pinterest) and if we find one of your projects, we’ll share it, like it, repost it – we’ll do it all!
We’ll be On the CASE again in 2 weeks!
Don't miss these hot deals - click the picture to shop!
Here's some other projects you'll like!
Sometimes the packaging should be “extra”, don’t you think?
When a gift is extra special, we spend tend to spend more time to make sure the packaging is “just so”.
Are you ready for the latest and greatest from Altenew?
Welcome back for another new product and giveaway hop! This time we have new stamps & dies, a new 24 pan Artist Grade watercolor set and a new self-healing cutting mat!
Tic Tac Toe Challenge is back!
Tic Tac Toe Challenge was on a hiatus for a while, but is back with an all new design team and all new challenges!