VIDEO: How to Wow – Distressed Metal (TTTC002)
This week’s Featured designer is Corinne Blake (thecreativecompendium.com) and, no matter what three elements you choose, you can’t go wrong! When the Design Teams were setting up their boards and doing up our first projects, we all wondered if we could do all nine elements. Would it look too cluttered? Would something just not go together? Well, surprise, surprise! It CAN be done! And I did it!
It was a total accident. I started off with Masculine, Birthday, Hexagon. But then, realized that the hexagon was embossing and I used the diecut from Swirly Scribbles – that was also yellow. The background is wood, there’s a gray banner, and of course, some Enamel Glitter Dots embellishments (the best way to sneak in some glitter for a masculine card!). And, POOF! I was at all 9 elements!
Let’s take a minute to focus on the “wow” element – that hexagon piece that looks like distressed sheet metal. As are many “wow” techniques, this one is pretty simple. Simple enough I can show it to you in less than 3 minutes! Take a look:
You’re probably thinking that it can’t get much easier – there must be a catch? Nope! No catch. Just some sandpaper on your foil sheets. It even works great without the embossing folder! The key is to take your time. Let the ink dry, and sand gently and sparingly. You can always take more off, but it’s really hard to put back on!
Here’s a few other tips about this card
- The Basic Gray bars are stamped off. I didn’t want solid – but more distressed. So, don’t fret if the whole image doesn’t stamp.
- I wanted a bold swirly element – instead of the typical thread or twine, so I went for the Swirly Scribble. BUT, I didn’t want all the leaves. So, I simply snipped off the ones that I didn’t want!
- Always heat-set your craft ink! Stamp, then heat set, THEN punch!
- The Happy and Birthday are just freehanded. They’re not supposed to be perfect rectangles. That adds to the rustic look!
Wrap-up & Chat
If you’re in love with this project and my new How to Wow Series, please do share!
Because creatives crave inspiration! By sharing each other’s work, not only will we get better, and craft more often, but we help inspire others too. Creativity is a team sport, so get out there and share.
Here’s how you can share with me:
- Leave a COMMENT below!
- Post a project inspired by today’s post on my Facebook page OR
- Post it Pinterest and use the hashtag #PMRInspired2017 OR
- Post it to Instagram and use the hashtag #PMRInspired2017
When I find your creations, I’ll comment and I’ll share them right here!
Here’s how you can share with others:
- Use those big ‘ol SHARE buttons below and post today’s creative inspiration for others to find
- If you’re on a mobile device, you can share images by pressing and holding on the picture and selecting “Share Image”. You should get a whole bunch of options depending on what apps you have installed on your device.
- Need a Color Coordinator to inspire color choices for your projects? Get yours today! 2019-20 Coordinators are NOW SHIPPING!
"I love this! I have a hard time getting color combos together and this takes all the guess work out so I can start creating right away! I think every stamper should have one thank you for this amazing product." - Sandra
Get your Distress on!
If you LOVED today’s project, and you want to try making the card yourslef, the supply list is right here! Just click a product to get started. Remember, orders of $25 start receiving extra benefits from me! The more you order, the more you’ll get! Be sure to use the Host Code to get your extras!