I am so excited to share today’s On the CASE file with you! Vintage Leaves is one of my favorite sets, and the sample in this year’s catalog is just a stunner – and easier than you might think!
Ann is CASE-ing out another carry-over set – Sheltering Tree (page 150 of the Annual Catalog), and this time, I’ve picked out another botanical – Vintage Leaves. I love that this set has a nice variety of realistic leaf images. They look amazing stamped, or embossed. And, of course, with the coordinating framelits (Leaflets Framelits), there’s no excuse to skip this set. Though, the shapes are easy enough for fussy cutting if you prefer.
Since Vintage Leaves doesn’t have a sentiment set, it’s likely that you’ll combine it with a sentiment from another set, or from a die. The catalog sample uses a diecut from the Lovely Words Thinlits, and a stamped sentiment from Lovely Inside & Out. I don’t have that stamp set, so I opted for Sunshine Sayings. That’s the beauty of this design – you can pair up any sentiment for any occasion. It would work as a sympathy card equally as well as a birthday card!
The last element I’m really diggin’ in this CASE is the embossing paste – white on white – and the white diecut leaves. So elegant!!!
Stamps and Paper and Inks … Oh, My!
Stamps: Vintage Leaves, Sunshine Sayings
Paper: Thick Whisper White Cardstock (8 1/2″ x 5 1/2″), Whisper White Cardstock (4″ x 5″), 2″ strips of Chocolate Chip, Cajun Craze, Pumpkin Pie, So Saffron & Emerald Envy, Silver Foil Paper (2″ x 3″)
Inks: Early Espresso, Cajun Craze, Pumpkin Pie, So Saffron, Emerald Envy
Accessories: Metallics Sequin Assortment, Silver Metallic Thread
Other: Embossing Paste, Pattern Party Decorative Masks, Palette Knives, Big Shot, Leaflets Framelits, Lovely Words Thinlits
On the CASE Notes
(your step-by-step guide)
It’s easiest to break this into three distinct sections, then assemble at the end!
- Score your card base at 4 1/4″. Fold and burnish the edge with a bone folder.
- Put the diamond mask from the Pattern Party Decorative Masks on top of the folded card base and use the angled knife from the Palette Knives set to smear paste across the mask. Set the card base aside to dry.
***Nit-picky details: Note in step three that you see some of the paste on the mask. You really want to scrape the knife across the mask so there’s no paste on the mask. That’s how you’ll get a nice, thin layer on the cardstock underneath. Too thick and it will take forever to dry!
Move on to the leaves. You only need scraps of the colored cardstock as you’ll be cutting out strips and re-assembling.
- Stamp the corresponding ink color onto each piece of cardstock. Note where you will cut out the shape eventually. You don’t need whole leaves, so this is a great opportunity to use up scraps!
- Once the strips are stamped, cut them out with the Leaflet Framelit and trim down to smaller strips.
- Use a stamped image (I did mine on some grid paper) as a guide to glue the strips together into the full leaf image.
- The last leaf step is to cut out a maple and an oak leaf in Whisper White using the Leaflets Framelits.
SENTIMENT & ASSEMBLE
Remember that you can totally customize this part, so, this is only a guide for the actual CASE.
- Cut the “friends” image from the Silver Foil using the Lovely Words Thinlits. You’ll snip the word from the circle.
- Stamp the rest of the sentiment on a scrap of whisper white and snip out with Paper Snips. I used a sentiment from Sunshine Sayings – it was “so happy for you” and I cut it down to “for you” and added the comma with a Cajun Craze marker.
- Affix the white leaves to the card base. I opted to glue them down directly, though they may have been popped up on Stampin’ Dimensionals
- Add circles of Silver Metallic Thread to the back of the colored leaf. Affix to the card base with Stampin’ Dimensionals.
- Adhere the “friend” diecut and the stamped sentiment (as shown)
- Add three silver sequins from the Metallics Sequin Assortment (as shown)
How Hard Was It to Crack this CASE?
Difficulty Level: 2 out of 5 – There’s lots of steps, but breaking it out like I did makes this card totally manageable! You could even do this one in multiples with an assembly-line approach. If you want to make more than one, I would recommend changing the center leaf to a single color vs. taking the time to put all the layers together. That’s the most time consuming part!
We hope our projects today inspired you to try CASE-ing the catalog too! We’re “on the case”, looking for the hashtag #SUontheCASE on social media (Facebook, Instagram, Google+ & Pinterest) and if we find one of your projects, we’ll share it, like it, repost it – we’ll do it all!
We’ll be On the CASE again in 2 weeks!
Did you fall in love with this CASE?
If you LOVED today’s project, and you want to make this card yourself, the supply list is right here! Just click a product to get started. Remember, order a minimum of $25 (can be multiple orders) start receiving extra benefits from me! The more you order, the more you’ll get! You MUST use the Host Code to get your extras!
- SHOP NOW and don't forget the host code: 397HQT9G. This month's Product Rewards Club members will receive:
- Orders between $25-$74.99: A 6x6 Paper Sampler - Christmas Around the World
- Orders over $75: The Paper Sampler AND Foil Snowflakes!
- If you have an order over $150, DON'T USE THE HOST CODE, but get your Stampin' Rewards, AND the free gifts from me!
FREEBIES!!! There's no catch - check out my Freebies Page for all sorts of downloadable resources to help take your crafting up a notch!
- Product Shares Get a little of everything, and use it all! Product Shares for the Annual Catalog and Holiday Catalog are ordered twice a month. Time to restock!
- If you plan to place your next order through me and need copies of the current catalogs, please request them here.
- Need a Color Coordinator to inspire color choices for your projects? Get yours today! "I love this! I have a hard time getting color combos together and this takes all the guess work out so I can start creating right away! I think every stamper should have one thank you for this amazing product." - Sandra