It’s time for another Pals Paper Arts challenge. This week, we have a great sketch from our fearless leader – Mary Fish! Those three boxes were just calling out to me to share with you a wonderful technique – Spotlighting! I’ll be using one of my favorite stamp sets – Kinda Eclectic…
As a cardmaker, I’m very picky about who gets my cards. Are you like that too? I don’t want to pour all the love and creativity I have into a design just to have it looked at and then tossed. #heartbreak #iworkedsohardonthat #nooooooo! But, for the right occasions, and the right people a handmade card is the perfect gift, or gift accompaniment. That’s what my card is today.
Spotlighting a Special Event
Brian needed a card for his Aunt & Uncle’s 60th wedding anniversary. Yes – SIXTY YEARS!!! Isn’t that just a wonderful milestone! I hope he and I get to celebrate that one some day. We’ve got a long way to go, but so far, so good! So, why no mention of the year or “anniversary”? Well, it’s not always necessary, is it. That makes this card so very versatile – it can be used for any celebration occasion. I love that! The spotlighting technique I used alludes to the bright moments in their life together. cool idea – huh?
So, what is spotlighting? It’s a technique where you stamp in subdued colors, then, use bright colors to highlight certain parts of the design. Sometimes it’s done freeform, but today, I used my Stamp-a-ma-jig for precise placement.
Let’s Create, Simply!
If you want to create cards like the ones I share, there is a simple way to do it. All you have to remember is “Let’s Create, Simply!”. Remembering that phrase will help you recall three key points of design: Layout, Color, Style. Don’t overthink it and use these three steps to make great cards every time. Click on the tabs below for today’s tips and Pin-worthy graphics! (Hint: If you’re on a mobile device, you can save images by pressing and holding on the picture and selecting “Share Image”. You should get a whole bunch of options depending on what apps you have installed on your device.)
Layout: The Rule of 3s
The Rule of 3s is a key principal for many art forms – that’s because three of anything is the smallest number you need to create a pattern. That’s why I used three spotlights instead of just two. If the card were larger, I would go for an odd number, like five if I wanted to add more. Threes also create triangles, which, subconciously, we find appealing. When I stamped the background images, I did it randomly, but you can see that they form triangles too – the two starbursts and the sentiment, especially. Take a look at one of your cards – do you see threes and triangles? I bet you do!
Color: Go Monochrome-ish
There’s a way to class up a card, every time – go monochrome! Today’s Pinnable color combo of Cucumber Crush, Emerald Envy and Bermuda Bay is a dynamic and vibrant trio. How did I decide on this combo? Using my Color Coordinator, of course!
There are two ways to accomplish a spotlight technique. Random, or with the Stamp-a-ma-jig (SAMJ). I started by stamping the background. I was very particular about the leaf placement, as I wanted my spotlights to match up with today’s sketch. To be precise about my placement, I put the base card under a piece of window sheet, and taped the sheet down. Then, I used my SAMJ with the leaf stamp to stamp the leaves on the circle cutouts. To ensure extra precise placement, I used some SNAIL to adhere the circles to the window sheet, exactly where I wanted them to end up, then I lined up the SAMJ to the leaf on the base card. Clear as mud? Maybe it needs a video…
Wrap-up & Chat
Wow! I hope you’re inspired to pull out some of your neglected, and shiny papercrafting stash. Use my ideas above to help kick-start your creativity for today – and share your results!
Because creatives crave inspiration! By sharing your work, not only will you get better, and craft more often, but you’ll be helping inspire others too. Creativity is a team sport, so get out there and share.
Here’s how you can share with me:
- Leave a COMMENT below!
- Post a project inspired by today’s post on my Facebook page OR
- Post it Pinterest and use the hashtag #PMRInspired2016 OR
- Post it to Instagram and use the hashtag #PMRInspired2016
When I find your creations, I’ll comment and I’ll share them right here!
Here’s how you can share with others:
- Use those big ‘ol SHARE buttons below and post today’s creative inspiration for others to find
- If you’re on a mobile device, you can share images by pressing and holding on the picture and selecting “Share Image”. You should get a whole bunch of options depending on what apps you have installed on your device.
- SHOP NOW and don't forget the host code: 397HQT9G. This month's Product Rewards Club members will receive:
- Orders between $25-$74.99: A 6x6 Paper Sampler - Christmas Around the World
- Orders over $75: The Paper Sampler AND Foil Snowflakes!
- If you have an order over $150, DON'T USE THE HOST CODE, but get your Stampin' Rewards, AND the free gifts from me!
FREEBIES!!! There's no catch - check out my Freebies Page for all sorts of downloadable resources to help take your crafting up a notch!
- Product Shares Get a little of everything, and use it all! Product Shares for the Annual Catalog and Holiday Catalog are ordered twice a month. Time to restock!
- If you plan to place your next order through me and need copies of the current catalogs, please request them here.
- Need a Color Coordinator to inspire color choices for your projects? Get yours today! "I love this! I have a hard time getting color combos together and this takes all the guess work out so I can start creating right away! I think every stamper should have one thank you for this amazing product." - Sandra