On the CASE: Birthday Banners
On the CASE: Birthday Banners
My dear friend, Ann Schach, and I roomed together for a recent Stampin’ Up! OnStage event. In the wee hours of the morning, while pouring through the new Annual Catalog, we talked about joining forces and doing a blog series where we would both CASE the catalog and share our insights with our readers. We decided that because our styles are so different, that we’d be introducing something new to our followers, and chances were that we wouldn’t want to CASE the same projects.
So, here we are, a few months later, organized and ready to share our first projects! We wanted to come up with a catchy title for the series. We decided on “On the CASE” – like two sleuths, uncovering all the clues and details of each project. Of course, we want YOU to CASE the catalog too – it’s such an amazing resource for project inspiration! So, we are looking for you to share your CASE projects on social media, using the hashtag #SUontheCASE – but, more about that later!
Stamps and Paper and Inks … Oh, My!
Stamps: Birthday Banners
Paper: Whisper White Notecard (5″ x 7″), Whisper White Cardstock (5″ x 3 1/2″), Pink Pirouette (3″ x 3″), Whisper White scraps for candles and banner.
Inks: Dapper Denim, Pool Party, Melon Mambo, Daffodil Delight
Other: Stamp-a-ma-jig, Pool Party Baker’s Twine, Starburst Punch, Big Shot, Bunch of Banners Framelits, Paper Snips
A note on colors
OMG! There’s so many tips I have to share about this project!!!! First, let’s start with colors….
- Looking in my physical catalog, the blue was a toss-up between Island Indigo and Dapper Denim. I chose Dapper Denim.
- Again, in the physical catalog, the flames looked like Daffodil Delight, and the candles, Melon Mambo. BUT, looking at the image above – I’m thinking that So Saffron and Berry Burst might have been what Stampin’ Up! used. Either way, it works.
- Lastly, the background pink starburst – I picked Pink Pirouette, but it could be Powder Pink. Again – both work!
On the CASE Notes
(your step-by-step guide)
Get ready to work on your Stamp-a-ma-jig accuracy! This card has it in SPADES!
- Use some light adhesive (like Dotto or other temporary adhesive) to temporarily adhere the Whisper White CS to a grid paper sheet. You’ll need the extra for the SAMJ work.
- Create a SAMJ template and figure out where to start the first image – working from upper left to lower right corner.
The exclamation point of the sentiment should be aligned right below “all the” from the sentiment above. That helped to ensure even spacing.
My rows ended up a little closer together – so, be sure to give yourself a nice space in between each row.
- Adhere the finished background to the card base.
Candles & Medallion
Now it’s time to Fussy Cut!
- Really – this cutting isn’t so bad. I tried the idea of stamping two candles to make one, but it didn’t work well for me. So, instead, I made six separate small candles, and overlapped them on the starburst element. Fussy cutting these is pretty simple – a great break-in for someone who may not have done this technique before. Just leave a bit of white around the edges of the candles. Don’t worry about perfection because the banner will hide the seam.
- After the candles are stamped and cut, punch out a starburst shape from the Pink Pirouette CS. Add the candles starting with the middle one, then the lower parts of the left & right candles. Finally, add the upper parts to the left and right candles. The seams should be close enough for the sentiment to cover.
- Stamp the sentiment and banner outline on a scrap of Whisper White. Diecut the shape with your Big Shot and Bunch of Banners Framelits. Note that for best sentiment placement, I curved the sentiment on the block so it arcs like the banner. Adhere to the candle element.
- On the back of the starburst element, apply a series of glue dots to keep the curly cues in place. Then, Stampin’ Dimensionals to pop the whole thing up on the card base.
- Stamp the candle flames in Daffodil Delight on some scrap Whisper White. Use the Fine-tip Glue Pen to apply targeted adhesive, then add Dazzling Diamonds Stampin’ Glitter for some extra glitz. Set aside to dry.
- Pop up the starburst element using Stampin’ Dimensionals. Add the candle flames using pieces of Stampin’ Dimensionals or the new Mini Stampin’ Dimensionals.
Difficulty Level: 3 out of 5 – I didn’t think there would be so much detail when I started off. After the SAMJ work for the background, I realized that this would not be a 2 minute (or even 5 minute) card! But, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try it! You’ll definitely hone some skills, and learn something new along the way. I gave it a difficulty of 3 because of the time and patience it took to do the SAMJ work and the fussy cutting.
We hope our projects today inspired you to try CASE-ing the catalog too! We’re “on the case”, looking for the hashtag #SUontheCASE on social media (Facebook, Instagram, Google+ & Pinterest) and if we find one of your projects, we’ll share it, like it, repost it – we’ll do it all!
We’ll be On the CASE again in 2 weeks!
Ready to CASE this one too?
If you LOVED today’s project, and you want to make this card yourself, the supply list is right here! Just click a product to get started. Remember, order a minimum of $25 (can be multiple orders) start receiving extra benefits from me! The more you order, the more you’ll get! You MUST use the Host Code to get your extras!
- SHOP NOW and don't forget the host code: 397HQT9G. This month's Product Rewards Club members will receive:
- Orders between $25-$74.99: A 6x6 Paper Sampler - Christmas Around the World
- Orders over $75: The Paper Sampler AND Foil Snowflakes!
- If you have an order over $150, DON'T USE THE HOST CODE, but get your Stampin' Rewards, AND the free gifts from me!
FREEBIES!!! There's no catch - check out my Freebies Page for all sorts of downloadable resources to help take your crafting up a notch!
- Product Shares Get a little of everything, and use it all! Product Shares for the Annual Catalog and Holiday Catalog are ordered twice a month. Time to restock!
- If you plan to place your next order through me and need copies of the current catalogs, please request them here.
- Need a Color Coordinator to inspire color choices for your projects? Get yours today! "I love this! I have a hard time getting color combos together and this takes all the guess work out so I can start creating right away! I think every stamper should have one thank you for this amazing product." - Sandra